Thursday, August 27, 2009

Women's Distance Running Festival

Tuesday night was a local 5K race at Ostiningo Park for the Women's Distance Festival. This year marks the 25th anniversary and I was happy to participate in the event. The day was a long one for me, work, heat and humidity and trying to eat right during the day. There was 133 participants and I was happy with my time and place. I came in 63rd and I shaved over 1-1/2 minutes off my previous 5K time.
***
I knew I was in for a good race by looking around and seeing all the female runners. There were some from area high school cross country teams and even the local college x-county team. There were very young girls as well as some older than me. There were a couple of power houses too! We lined up on the starting line and I get the i-pod all ready with a great start song. The person said go and believe me we went...fast. A little too fast for my first mile! I typically take about 2 miles into a run to actually get my groove so when we passed the 1 mile marker and he yelled out the time of 7:16 I was in shock. I really didn't think my body could go that fast anymore. I then slowed a bit during the 2-3 miles and finished like a champ. Up a hill to the finish line I passed 2 people (maybe 3 I can't remember). I was so happy when it was over although I did feel like I could run another 6 miles without a problem.
***
That's the thing about running distance...once you start running past 10 miles your body just wants to continue when you run the short distances.
***
But today I feel guilt...I was suppose to run this morning but I opted not too. My legs are kind of sore from Tuesday nights run as well as my abdomen. I think I might have strained a muscle on the left side. So today I will rest up and tomorrow hit the road for 7 miles. This weekend is a long run of 14 miles and this time I will be taking a friend along on the journey. He will be riding his bike along the way carrying my gu and drinks!! Thanks friend!!
***
so for now I leave you with
rest girl, rest!

No comments:

Post a Comment